Makes 12 cupcakes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick of butter softened (which is 8 tbs)
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup of milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line 12 cups in your cupcake/muffin pan
- Sift together your flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. This takes about 5 minutes. The time does matter!
- Add your eggs one at a time on low speed so it does not cause splashing.
- Add the vanilla
- On low speed again, add flour mix and milk alternating between the two. Mix until well incorporated into the mixture but be sure not to overmix.
- Bake for about 20 minutes and until the toothpick comes out dry, tops should spring back to touch. Cool while making the buttercream.
For the buttercream:
- 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups of confectioner’s (icing) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tbs milk
- I added 1 tsp cherry juice from the maraschino cherries just for a bit of flavor
Cream together butter and sugar on low. Add vanilla and cherry flavor and then add the milk. Mix until well combined and creamy. Add more or less of the milk depending on the consistency you desire.
If adding food coloring, it is best to add gel color like Wilton, Americolor, or SugarFlair.
For the Chocolate ganache:
- 4 ounces of semi sweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
Place the cream in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the heavy cream over a bowl of the chocolate chips and immediately stir. The heat should melt them all but if not, use the double boiler method to finish them off. Drizzle over the buttercream and top with a cherry 🙂