For the cake:
- 3/4 cup of unsalted and room temperature butter
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups of cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup of milk (I use whole)
- 1 tbs of vanilla
- 1 package of orange jello mix (use half or all of it depending how much orange flavor you want. I use half)
- *Cream butter and sugar together until fluffy (about 2-4 minutes on medium speed)
- *Add eggs one at a time, beating on low speed
- *Add the dry ingredients (including the jello mix powder) together in a bowl and alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk with the vanilla extract added to it on low speed so mixture doesn’t fly everywhere.
- *Then do a final mix on medium speed to ensure it’s incorporated.
Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes – an hour or until you insert a toothpick in it and it comes out clean. (I bake in two different 6 inch pans and layer them, but if you use an 8 inch, you’ll have to it for the layers and bake longer).
For the buttercream layers and on the cake:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted room temperature butter
- 1-2 tbs milk
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp orange extract
*Slowly add in sugar and mix until well-beaten. Add extract.
*Add milk *if it’s too stiff, add more, it’s it just right, you can skip the milk